All Seed CSA options open for enrollment 11/1/23 - 1/31/24
A unique opportunity to be part of a community of seed stewards through enrolling in a membership with our Community Supported Agriculture program for this year. The Homestead CSA bundle is the largest with 5 monthly shipments of seasonally appropriate, open pollinated seeds with special planting instructions and growing suggestions. The last shipment of the Homestead Seed CSA - in late September or early October includes garlic, fava beans and cover crops seed mix for Fall planting. We also include perks such as special varieties that we don't offer normally through our website, including unreleased breeding projects and rare seed that we have in limited quantities.
For those of you unfamiliar with the CSA model, it was developed as a way for people to get more involved with the source of sustenance - our farms and farmers through supporting them directly. Here is how it works: you sign up early in the season, helping the farmer with dearly needed early season cash-flow and a known customer base. In exchange you receive more than fair market value in produce (the typical model) for your investment.
The work of developing regionally adapted vegetable varieties is not easy work - it can take years of growing and selecting with careful observation. However, this is crucial work that helps our food crops to evolve to thrive in organic garden conditions. We are passionate about this work and honestly feel that it is one of the most relevant responses to climate change that we can be doing in this time. We are reaching out to our valued community of seed customers to help support us in doing this.
Why else might you be interested in joining?
* The varieties that we send will include our favorite tried and true garden standbys that we think you would want to be planting during that particular window of time. Varieties that we think you will be successful and happy with.
* Please note you will not receive a list of varieties in advance, but we include all the garden essentials!
* It will help you to stay on top of planting rotations for crops like peas, beans, lettuce, cilantro that you would probably want to have a continuous supply of.
* Chances are you will be more successful with getting your winter garden seeded early enough to be successful because we will send you the seeds in time to get fall roots, cabbages, garlic, favas, and so forth, started.
* Planting guides and growing tips will be included .
* Be apart of a forward thinking community that is building strength through associations.
WHAT SIZE OR TYPE SHOULD I GET?
* SMALL is designed for Gardens under 500 sq. feet,
* LARGE is for gardens 500-2000 square feet
* HOMESTEAD is for gardens 2000 - 10000 square feet
* FLOWER csa can be purchased separately or added for beautiful cut flowers and promotion of pollinator species.
First installment of seed ships out after February 10th
Due to free shipping, no International orders available. Sorry!
Homestead CSA: $375 for an abundant collection of 70 seed packets including bulk peas, corn, beans, radish and salad greens. Also in time for fall planting we will send you 1/2 a pound of garlic seed and 1 lb of cover crop. (20% savings)
*shipping is included in the price (along with growing guides)
* Check out our Basic Seed Saving Book if you want a little help getting into saving your own garden seeds:
* Please note you will not receive a list of varieties in advance, but we include all the garden essentials! Here is an example of what has been included in the Homestead CSA in years past:
February (1st Installment):
Cabbage, Red Express
Calendula, Princess Mix
Carrots (scarlet nantes, red core Chantenay)
Kale, Fractal Frills
Kale, Alive Vates
Leek, Ester cook
Lettuce, Devil's Ears
Onion, Ailsa craig - 2 packets
Onion, Rosa di Milano
Peas, Sugar Ann - 2 packets
Beets (3 packets)
Cilantro Santo 1oz
Lettuce diversity mix 1 oz
Mesclun 1/2 oz
Radish, Pink beauty 1/2 oz
Spinach, Popeye - 1/2 oz.
March (2nd Installment):
Basil, Boloso Basil
Beans, Flagrano Fillet
Beans, OS Blues
Beans, Red Swan
Pepper, Chilaque Rojo
Parsley, Flat Leaf
Tomato, Amish Paste
Tomato, Marvel Stripped
Tomato, Champagne Bubbles
Tomato, Cherokee Purple
Zucchini, Dark Star
April (3rd Installment):
Bean, Black Turtle - 1/4 pound
Beans, Kentucky Wonder
Beans, Purple Dove - 2 packets
Corn, Painted Hills
Corn, tuxana - 1/4 lb.
Corn, Cassiopeia Popcorn - 2 packets
Cucumber, Richmond green
Pollinator Mix - Late
Squash, Bush Butternut
Sunflower - 1/2 oz
Watermelon, blacktail mtn
May (4th Installment)
Bean, Tuscan Pole
Beans, OS Blues - 2 packs
Beets, Chioggia - 2 packs
Corn, Aloha Swt
Corn, Topat Sweet
Squash, Blue Hubbard
September/Early October (5th Installment)
1. ½ pound Garlic2. 1 pound Cover Crop