- 3 medium beets thinly sliced
- 3 medium potatoes thinly sliced (replace with rutabagas or sweet potatoes or a mix)
- 2 Leeks
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cold butter cut in small pieces
- ¼ cup ice water (amount may vary)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme and rosemary
Using a food processor combine flour, butter, salt and herbs. Pulse until crumbly. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with apple cider vinegar. Slowly add the ice water until the dough forms the correct sticky but workable consistency. You may need less water or more water depending on the texture of your dough. Turn dough out onto the work surface, knead a couple of times until there are no dry spots ( do not over knead). Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. When your fillings are ready pull out of the fridge and roll dough into an oval about 1 centimeter thick.
Prepare Leek Cream Sauce:
Slice leeks into half moons. Remove thyme leaves from the stem and chop into fine pieces. Saute leeks and thyme in butter. Slowly add cream. Stir until mixture has thickened and add salt and pepper to taste
- Toss pumpkin seeds in olive oil and a little salt.
- Slice beets and potatoes to about an ⅛ inch.
- Spread the leek cream sauce over the dough leaving a 1 ½ inch border.
- Arrange the slices of beet and potato in a spiral starting at the middle of the dough. Overlap edges of slices in a domino effect.
- Dollop teaspoons goat cheese around the top of the potatoes and beets.
- Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
- Drizzle top of galette with olive oil.
- Starting on one side of the dough, fold the border over top of the filling, continue around the dough, folding so that the dough holds together and forms a crust.
- Beat egg to form an egg wash and brush over crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit for 45 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
Author: Taryn Hunter