HARDNECK VARIETY SAMPLER
Interested in growing garlic but can't settle on which variety? We'd love to introduce you into the wide world of garlic diversity with our garlic samplers. We offer a few different options: 1/2 pound each of 4 varieties of garlic for which we have limited quantities. Please note that the hardneck garlic varieties included may vary depending on availability.
Each type represents a different facet of the garlic genome:
• Kishlyk - This is a Wild garlic type - similar to a Purple Stripe from Uzbekistan in the center of origin for garlic. Very handsome purple striped bulbs have 8-12 tall, elongated crescent shaped cloves with a building fiery spicy flavor. The cloves have a bright purple clove wrapper. An exquisitely gorgeous garlic that grows sturdy and vigorous plants. Remarkably spicy, a little goes a long ways!!!
• Basque - This is a very pretty Turban type with flattened bulbs with purple striping from Northern Spain. Early maturing and does produce some scapes but not in all climates. Grows well in warmer climates. Very easy to peel. Mild flavor. FCF.
• Khabar - Originally collected in the Siberian city of Khabarovsk by Bob Ellis, a garlic grower from Sitka, Alaska. A reliable, strong flavored Marbled type that grows vigorous stocky plants with delicious garlic scapes in May. 6-8 large cloves. Stores well. Only available through the Hardneck Sampler.
• Vekak - A large, purple colored Glazed type, "From the small town of Poběžovice, Czech Republic, near the border with Bavaria and the Bohemian Forest. Dr. Boris Andrst, a retired ophthalmologist from NY acquired this and a number of other varieties from a farmer in Bohemia. Many of these varieties made it into commercial circulation in the U.S., though often with slightly misspelled names (Vekak is actually “Vekan”). Poběžovice, now a bucolic agrarian town, once had a thriving Jewish community and a famous local mikveh (ritual bath) was a place of pilgrimage. The Jews perished in the Holocaust and their synagogue was destroyed." from Garlicana. Only available through the Hardneck Sampler.
They are all fairly distinct in their appearance, flavor and growth habit, so you will learn quite a bit about what growing garlic is all about.
We also have the Garlic Sampler available for extra variety, click the link to check it out!
1/4 pound of each (1 pound total)
1/2 pound of each (2 pounds total)
* All varieties are Certified Organically Grown.
SORRY BUT NO INTERNATIONAL ORDERS ON GARLIC
* Free Shipping does not apply to Garlic Orders *
Remember to check out our Garlic Growing tips in order to make the most of your growing opportunity: