Interested in growing garlic but can't settle on which variety? We'd love to introduce you into the wide world of garlic diversity with our garlic samplers. We offer a few different options: 1/2 pound or 1/4 pound each of 4 varieties of garlic for which we have limited quantities.
Each type represents a different facet of the garlic genome:
• Inchelium Red - Softneck Artichoke Type -In 1991 at the Rodale Food Center it won first place among 20 artichoke varieties evaluated for flavor This mild-flavored garlic is great baked. This pretty and productive softneck was discovered on the Colville Indian Reservation in Washington. As with most softnecks it stores very well for 6–9 months. Pretty purple splotches over white bulb wrappers conceal 12-15 large cloves. Organically grown by Feral Farm.
• Donostia Red - Creole type - This is a very handsome, medium, long storing Creole type was originally sourced from a market in Donostia, Euzkadi, aka San Sebastián, Spain. Creole type garlics come from the Pyrenees Mountains and do well in warmer climates and tend to struggle with significant cold. As a result they are a great choice for growing in more southern latitudes. In cold winter climate areas they tend to produce weak scapes and none at all in the south. They are not the largest of garlics but still have a wonderful full bodied flavor and store exceptionally well (up to 12 months!). Donostia Red has white bulb wrappers and deep pinkish-red clove wrappers surrounding 8-12 cloves. Very productive with bulbs up to 2 1/2" if provided ample fertility. Organically grown at Feral Farm. Only available in the Garlic Sampler.
• Chilean - Silverskin softneck - This is a gorgeous, long storing Silverskin type with brilliant white bulb wrappers and white/pink clove wrappers. Can easily attain a large size with good garden culture and ample fertility. 2-3" in diameter average. Multiple rows of cloves. This is typically the most common type of garlic seen and sold in stores. Soft necks and long storage ability make this an exceptional variety for making garlic braids
Basque -Turban type
This is a very pretty Turban type with flattened bulbs with purple striping from Northern Spain. We orignally obtained this variety via our local garlic wizard, Avram Drucker of Garlicana who had this to say, "Turban garlics are highly adaptable to different climates having been found from tropical Southeast Asia to arid Central Asia, to the Pyrenees and surrounding lowlands. Here in Southern Oregon, where they are some of the first to emerge and earliest to mature, the scapes seldom have time to coil before the plants are ready to harvest." Hardneck variety.
We also have the Hardneck Garlic Sampler available for extra variety, click the link to check it out!
1/4 Pound of Each (1 pound total)
1/2 pound of each (2 pounds total)
* All varieties are Certified Organically Grown.
SORRY BUT NO INTERNATIONAL ORDERS ON GARLIC
* Free Shipping does not apply to Garlic Orders *
Remember to check out our Garlic Growing tips in order to make the most of your growing opportunity: